Monday, October 29, 2007

Prayer needed

Over the next two months or so I am going to be making one of the most important decisions of my life, and I will be making it while in the midst of many other happenings. Lots of travel plans: first I hit Rhode Island this weekend to visit my sister and the babies; then I go to California for a week at Thanksgiving; and finally spend two weeks in South Africa for Christmas! Whew! I don't know how I will manage it all, but God has so faithfully provided the means for me to be able to visit some very special family and friends, as well as partake in ministry at Christmas. What a privilege and joy to spend Christmas away from the hustle and silliness of all the materialistic aspects of this ridiculously westernized holiday. It amazes me how all my students at school have been talking about Christmas since we started in August, they have been counting down the days and eagerly discussing and comparing all the items they have asked for from their moms and dads. I may tend toward a legalistic conservatism, but it frustrated me to see the amount of time and money and even mental energy that goes into this holiday. I anticipate being in Africa where the people are simply thankful to have a roof over their heads and just one meal a day. More on this later...

No comments: