Saturday, March 13, 2010

Giving up control

Susan Hunt says, "The true woman is not afraid to place herself in a position of submission. She does not have to grasp; she does not have to control. Her fear dissolves in the light of God's covenant promise to be her God and to live with her. Submission is simply a demonstration of her confidence in the sovereign power of the Lord God."

I love to control things, situations, my time, people. I never realized just how much I love to control until I started to see my resistance to submission well up within me on several recent occasions. I considered myself to be pretty submissive, ready to do what is asked of me and usually with a joyful spirit. However, it's the little things that get me. An event or activity goes differently than I anticipated in my mind, I have to wait for an answer about something I have already planned out, or the future is unclear about a job, and for a single woman - the future is always unclear. The unmarried woman often wonders how she will be able to support herself as she ages, she contemplates the increasing responsibilities of life regarding her family as well as her own well-being. All of these things begin to reveal distinct opportunities to submit. Submit to parents, submit to spiritual leaders, employers, and to God's providence in general. These are the things that begin to uncover the mask of submission. My rebellion is exposed as I am called to do things I have already made determinations about. Things don't turn out how I planned or how I, in my prideful heart, think they should. It is here that I am reminded of Ms. Hunt's words. Whether I submit or not reveals whether or not I am fearful, whether I trust in God's goodness, and ultimately, whether I am submitting to Him. Lord, teach me to be submissive, in all things!

Fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

No comments: