Monday, December 29, 2008

Biblical Womanhood is always expressed through the lens of love

For some time I have been reading Susan Hunt's book Spiritual Mothering. Even as a young woman it is important to realize that there is always a younger believing woman looking to model herself after the women God has placed in her circle of influence. Although I am only in my early thirties, there are many teenage girls and young college-age women whom I may impact without even realizing it. They are watching carefully to see how I speak, dress, interact with others, serve, and behave. This is a scary thought sometimes when I reflect upon my failures and sinful habits. But Mrs. Hunt carefully admonishes the reader to note that the qualification for any mentoring relationship with a fellow sister in the Lord is LOVE. She attributes the following important distinctions to biblical love:
1. It gives the energy to work at our relationships and conduct.
2. It is an action and therefore does not come naturally!
3. It demands dying to oneself.
4. It take enormous risks!
5. It is mandatory for our faithful witness (Jn. 13:34,35)
6. It requires us to remove the "outer garments" (like selfishness and pride) that may hinder our ability to display it.
These characteristics of love make it abundantly clear that it is not a simple task. Lord, help me to love biblically and not according to fleshly standards!

No comments: