Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Present Application of Truth

Psalm 28:6,7..."Blessed be the Lord! For He has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him." This passage helps answer the question: what do we do with our emotions? Oftentimes our emotions overwhelm us like a flood, whether it be sadness, frustration, irritability, anger, joy, sorrow. Then we have a difficult time discerning what is true and right when it is mingled with our fleshly emotions that are often tainted by our own sinfulness. Here the psalmist is presently applying himself to remember God's Truth. As one of my professors put it: the psalmist does not say that he is helped and so therefore trusts - but he chooses to trust and then is helped. Take note of that sequence. The help comes from choosing to believe.

No comments: