Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Questions for Examination: Pursuing Biblical Womanhood

My walk with Christ:
* Is my closest friend and companion Christ?
* Is intimacy with Christ my most valued treasure?

Worldly Pursuits:
* Do I waste time on the Internet, reading novels, watching movies or TV instead of disciplining myself in the graces of biblical womanhood like keeping my home, learning new tools to benefit my home and ministry, reading helpful and sanctifying materials?
* Am I overly concerned with fashion, material possessions, and external appearances?

Purity:
* Am I fueling sensual (or even simply romanticized) thoughts and desires through books, magazines, TV shows, movies or music that are not morally pure or that stir up feelings I am not able to biblically live out at this time?
* Do I manipulate to get attention from the opposite sex?
* Do I engage in flirtatious speech, looks or behavior?

Speech:
* Does my demeanor tend to be loud and defiant or do I communicate a meek, quiet and submissive spirit?
* Are the praises of God continually on my lips or am I complaining?

Stewardship vs. Selfishness:
* Am I spending my time serving others or serving myself?
* Where do I see the Lord challenging my self-centeredness and what am I doing about it?

Prayer:
* Do I regularly engage in prayer for the men and women in my circle of fellowship?
* Do I trust in the Lord's sovereign care of me and express that in my prayers?

Authority and Submission:
* How do I respond to my authorities (not just a husband or parents) when I am troubled or disagree with something they have said?
* How well do those in authority know me? Do I avoid being known by them?

Service:
* Do I view this unmarried season of my life (or childless season) as one unique for intense ministry?
* Have I squandered opportunities for ministry in sinful self-focus or discontentment?
* Do I have friends and family or church families whom I serve intentionally and regularly?

NOTE: Some of this material was taken from various lessons/articles by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Patricia Ennis and Andrea Kolstad

No comments: