Monday, February 1, 2010

Mothering, the spiritual kind...

As my days are quite busy, I find less time to write as much as I would like, particularly original writing. But I do read a TON, between teaching, grad school and just personal study, so I have been reflecting a little on spiritual mothering for the past several months. I have read many things about this topic, so what I share in this brief post is merely a drop in a giant bucket of material that could be offered. Pat Ennis, author and professor of Home Economics at The Master's College, has this to say about spiritual mothering:

Let's examine some of the basic virtues you are to exemplify, using the letters that form the word "mother" as our foundation:

M - modeling the character qualities that you want your spiritual daughters to embrace (I Co. 4:16; 11:1)

O - obedient to those having authority over you (Heb. 13:17).

T - teachable (Ps. 27:11; 86:11) and capable of teaching (2 Tm. 2:24; Titus 2:4).

H - humble (Prv. 16:19; Is. 57:15).

E - exhorting and encouraging (1 Thes. 5:14).

R - reputation for good works (Prv. 31:29; 1 Tm. 5:3-10).

Today I chair the Home Economics Department at a Christian college that is based on the Titus 2:3-5 precept. It is the second college program based on Titus 2:3-5 I have established. Much of what I impart to my students is generated from the foundation I received through my adopted and spiritual mother's training and example.


What I thoroughly love about Ms. Ennis's testimony regarding spiritual mothering is that she has never been married and has no children. I believe this is a key observation because as single women, we often think we are not called to spiritual motherhood unless we are a wife/mother. But Scripture does not exempt us from this role. There are many women mentioned in God's Word who are clear examples of biblical womanhood, including the mother-like care they provided for younger women. Even as a younger single woman, I am always going to be older than someone, and so therefore, am called to be an example of biblical womanhood, teaching them - just as I am being taught by my spiritual mothers - to love God, love their husbands, submit to their authorities, care for the children God has providentially placed in their lives (whether physical or spiritual), and to exalt the name of Christ in all matters - dress, speech, attitudes, service. May we never neglect this principle, regardless of the age or season we are currently in.

No comments: