Saturday, August 22, 2009

Biblical Womanhood...again!

Since I am always looking for some insight into cultivating biblical womanhood, when I came across this quote I knew right away I would have to share it! One thing that troubles me is when we unmarried women in particular, think that somehow we are exempt from pursuing biblical womanhood. Or we think that only certain parts of it apply to us. I would submit however, that knowing Scripture is a command given to all believers, and therefore, as a woman who wants to know Scripture more and more, I must seek to apply all areas of biblical womanhood, if not in experience itself (obviously I cannot experience being a wife without actually getting married), then in principle for certain. I must know what it means to be a godly wife, and I must be prepared to give an answer on issues like submission and motherhood because I will most definitely come into relationship with women who are experiencing marriage and parenting. Jesus was never married and yet He taught signficantly on marriage. Paul was never married and he spoke clearly on the issue in many of his letters. So I too must be familiar with the teachings of Scripture, instructing and praying alongside women who are seeking to love their husbands, teach their children and manage their homes in a way that brings honor to God. ALL of the Bible is meant for every believer and so therefore, I must embrace it, obey it and live it out whatever season of life I am currently in.

"Young Christian ladies must either remain in a virgin state of life and devote themselves to piety, prayer, self-denial, and all good works; or they must marry and be holy, sober, and wise in the care of a family - bringing up their children in piety, humility, and devotion, and abounding in all other good works to the utmost of their status and capacity. They have no choice of anything else, but must devote themselves to God in one of these states. They may choose a married or a single life; but it is not left to their choice whether they will make either state a state of holiness, humility, devotion, and all other duties of the Christian life. They must...look into the spirit of their prayers and into the nature and end of Christianity. There they will find that whether they are married or unmarried they have but one business upon their hands. And that is to be wise, pious, and holy - not in little modes and forms of worship but in the whole turn of their minds, in the whole form of all their behavior, and in the daily course of life."
William Law, A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life

No comments: