Thursday, August 6, 2009

Remembering Christ

One of the primary things I have been pondering in recent days has been Christ! This sounds a little funny at first, because obviously as a Christian, one would assume that I would ponder Christ. However, in recent experiences I have been so gently reminded of the propensity of man (particularly myself)to rely on self-control and self-discipline, conformation to the Law and the commands of Christ without simply considering Christ. I love Christ, and this love has been profoundly deepened and broadened in recent days. He is my reason for everything I do, everything command I am able to obey, every good desire that is within me. There is nothing good apart from Him. Without Him, my relationships with family and friends have no meaning. Without Him, I am hopeless in my educational or career pursuits - because there is no significance in these things done apart from Christ. Without Him, I become troubled by the pervasiveness of sin in this world, and even more so, the pervasiveness of it within my heart. Without Him, I have absolutely no confidence that my ministry means anything. Without Him, my singleness becomes a cause for fear, worry and even despair as I grow older. Without Him, the waves of strife amongst believers and the spiritual apathy of the church become more than I can bear and soon go over my neck, causing me to drown in sorrow. I love Christ. Christ is the only means by which man can be changed, including the man who is already saved. He is the source of change for me, a seasoned believer, just as much as He is for the unregenerate man who is chained in the pits of his sin. This is why He says, "...apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

If this is all true, and Christ is my only hope in this life, then why am I not entirely obsessed with knowing, loving and serving Him? The cares of this world, the distractions of this material life quickly close in upon me, choking out my love and devotion for Him. I pray that He will teach me to love Him more and more, that He will hold onto me when I am forgetful to hold onto Him.

"...if you contemplate yourself, that is sure damnation. But since Christ has been so imparted to you with all His benefits that all His things are made yours, that you are made a member of Him, indeed one with Him, His righteousness overwhelms your sins; His salvation wipes out your condemnation; with His worthiness He intercedes that your unworthiness may not come before God's sight. Surely this is so: We ought not to separate Christ from ourselves or ourselves from Him. Rather we ought to hold fast bravely with both hands to that fellowship by which He has bound Himself to us" (John Calvin).

I love Christ...and I am so grateful that He loves me so much more than I love Him!

No comments: